Champions League Revamp

Talk about anything NOT related to Arsenal in the football world.

Champions League Revamp

Postby NickF » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:19 am

Seem that clubs want to change the champions league format.
Reading the article, where to start with how wrong this is...

"20 teams from Italy, England, Spain, Germany and France" - so if you happen to not be in one of those countries you are not allowed in the tournament? What about Ajax who have won it 4 times.

"There have been suggestions that these clubs should get direct entry into Europe's elite club football tournament, rather than through their domestic league position the previous season" - so it doesn't matter where you finish? Should please Wenger as it means even less pressure.

The whole thing smack of elitism.
Forum Supporter

Re: Champions League Revamp

Postby I Believe Overall » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 am

I think most people would like to see the group stages revamped to make them more exciting...too many dead games. Maybe groups of 3 is the way to go with 2 going through then a couple of extra knockout rounds to keep things interesting? League winners of every Euro nation get auto entry into Knockout rounds.

Loads of things you could do - depends what you are trying to fix though :)
me neither
I Believe Overall
Forum Supporter

Re: Champions League Revamp

Postby Red Snapper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:53 pm

It should have remained a knockout, drawn from a hat competition for the champions of each country but I suppose that format wasn't lining enough pockets. The day a European league (which is what this sounds like) is started is the day I lose interest in top flight football.

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Return to Football From Around The World