Jonas Gutierrez wins Newcastle United discrimination tribunal case

Talk about anything NOT related to Arsenal in the football world.

Jonas Gutierrez wins Newcastle United discrimination tribunal case

Postby Thynker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:24 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36044285

What are people's thoughts on this?

As much as I think those with illness should be protected, if someone can't do the job for a football team they shouldn't be given a new contract.

Football is subject to employment law of course, but top level sport is a bit different to working in an office.
An office worker has a right to expect their employer to accommodate them in their place of work, but if someone is going to be regularly absent because of cancer treatment, then they can't do their best for their club.
Harsh but that''s top level sport.
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Re: Jonas Gutierrez wins Newcastle United discrimination tribunal case

Postby Red Snapper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:36 pm

If Newcastle honoured his contract but wouldn't renew it I think they fulfilled their obligations. Given the sums involved and the age of the player I can't see they're morally wrong either.
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Postby Thynker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:50 pm

Red Snapper wrote:If Newcastle honoured his contract but wouldn't renew it I think they fulfilled their obligations. Given the sums involved and the age of the player I can't see they're morally wrong either.

He says part of that contract included an automatic one year extension should he play enough games. Up until his diagnosis he played over 90% of games but then wasnt played at all even though fit. He claims this was discrimination
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby Red Snapper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Thynker wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:If Newcastle honoured his contract but wouldn't renew it I think they fulfilled their obligations. Given the sums involved and the age of the player I can't see they're morally wrong either.

He says part of that contract included an automatic one year extension should he play enough games. Up until his diagnosis he played over 90% of games but then wasnt played at all even though fit. He claims this was discrimination

Oh OK. Grey area then.
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Return to Football From Around The World