For or Against

For
34%
Against
66%

Total votes : 58

Arsene Wenger - For or Against

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Let's try and keep this one on the subject of Arsene Wenger.

As before, re voting is allowed depending on the last result or how you're feeling.
Steve - Creator and all round nice guy!
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Tel » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:50 pm

I'll start the ball rolling, I'm still against as I have been for around 4 years. The reasons are unchanged, making the same mistakes over and over, poor or nonexistent tactics and continual folding in important games. I'm realistic enough to realise he'll probably offered another contract as he doesn't appear to be answerable to anyone at the club.
Tel

Re: Arsene Wenger - For or Against

Postby dropshort » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm still for, I realise it's not a popular vote on here I just want to see if he can respond once the financial shackles are off.If/when he does leave I hope it would be amicable but he will distance himself from the club for awhile. Lastly we're all aware of the trophy drought but he can always point back to the unbeaten season as a benchmark that no other team (in the pl) has passed.

No need for a line of zzzzz's or abuse that's my opinion and you are perfectly entitled to your own.
dropshort

Postby Veggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:51 pm

dropshort wrote:I'm still for, I realise it's not a popular vote on here I just want to see if he can respond once the financial shackles are off.If/when he does leave I hope it would be amicable but he will distance himself from the club for awhile. Lastly we're all aware of the trophy drought but he can always point back to the unbeaten season as a benchmark that no other team (in the pl) has passed.

No need for a line of zzzzz's or abuse that's my opinion and you are perfectly entitled to your own.

This
Veggie
Forum Supporter

Postby ROCK GOONER » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm

dropshort wrote:I'm still for, I realise it's not a popular vote on here I just want to see if he can respond once the financial shackles are off.If/when he does leave I hope it would be amicable but he will distance himself from the club for awhile. Lastly we're all aware of the trophy drought but he can always point back to the unbeaten season as a benchmark that no other team (in the pl) has passed.

financial shackles are off? so you mean to tell me that we need to spend even more money to be able to beat Blackburn and Bradford? We finished a point behind the Russians and 5 behind the arabs so money don't seem to be an issue there. i'd love to see him gone so its a no for me for the 6 successive year
ROCK GOONER

Postby ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:05 pm

I'm still in the for category as I don't think we know anything close to the full story of the constraints he has to work within.
ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust

Postby Steve » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:13 pm

ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust wrote:I'm still in the for category as I don't think we know anything close to the full story of the constraints he has to work within.

I think this as well, nor will we ever know.
Steve - Creator and all round nice guy!
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Rainham Red » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Steve wrote:
ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust wrote:I'm still in the for category as I don't think we know anything close to the full story of the constraints he has to work within.

Maybe when he does leave and writes his autobiography the truth may come out.They may even make a film of it called The Emirates Stadium Mystery
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby Veggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Rainham Red wrote:
Steve wrote:

Maybe when he does leave and writes his autobiography the truth may come out.They may even make a film of it called The Emirates Stadium Mystery

:D
Veggie
Forum Supporter

Postby dropshort » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I see what your saying rock and your right we should be beating these teams but then that's football and for me Aw has provided plenty more highs than lows. Money may well have played a part in all of this as we've been bargain buying for years and although Gervinho cost a lot he was never in the same league as some of the other teams squad players.
dropshort

Postby NickF » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:42 pm

For me, still against.
He's had a lot of money to spend this summer and so far has failed to bring in anyone.
Added to the this the amount of poor players that we have had to get rid of and some that are still on the books.
NickF
Forum Supporter

Postby Hobart » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Rainham Red wrote:
Steve wrote:

Me too, although I'm getting to the stage where I think even though it is not his fault he may need to go so that the true culprits can be seen by all and pressure can be put on them.

Still for, but only by a whisker.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby officepest » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Should've walked after the dry-humping we took at Old Toilet in the infamous 2-8. He refuses to move with the times and seems to operate in his own transfer market.

A man who revolutionised Arsenal is now happy to flog our best players to domestic rivals, accept mediocrity as standard and thinks 4th(!) is success.

Get rid.
Yak yak
officepest

Postby ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm

But has he Nick?

I remember reading an article last year that suggested he was being encouraged to balance the books each summer with regards to transfer funds. This year appears no different currently as we appear to have brought funds in from lesser players such as Mannone, Gervinho etc.

Football clubs are businesses for the most part (oil tycoon playthings apart) and these businesses need to see returns for their shareholders (like it or not!). Arsenal are one of the best run businesses in football, and for the most part do not take risks financially that are not justifiable in an economic sense, I know they use complex algorithms when assessing players. Wenger is simply the manager, the press and fans do not seem to realise quite how multimillion pound businesses are run, as they follow headlines about what Gazidis, Wenger, Law etc have been up to. They ignore the money men behind the scenes, the directors, the less glamorous background staff. I think Wenger is answerable to many things, but its a misconception that he or any other manager in the Premier league is in charge of their clubs, they are not. They are in charge of the team, very little else.

Real business men conduct matters professionally and quietly and while I know it will probably be an unpopular opinion, Silent Stan is a prime example of a successful businessman running a business successfully. The only problem is, most businesses don't have the emotions attached to them that football clubs have.

Just as a final note, imagine whatever your day job is. You probably have a principle responsibility that takes up 80/90% of your time, you might then have other staff members to look after, you then probably get called to meetings, answer emails, telephone calls. Eventually you run out of time and have to prioritise what is most important in your day.

Now imagine a typical football managers day, with 30/40 squad members to train with, coaching staff to meet, fitness regimes to go through, meetings with the board members, promotional activities, press requirements.... I can imagine their days very quickly fill up with the daily grind and while that is no excuse for not finding time for other pressing matters such as transfers, I'd imagine Wenger has very little to do with the daily grind of finding and negotiating these deals. It is simply not his job.
ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust

Postby Hobart » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 pm

ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust wrote:But has he Nick?

I remember reading an article last year that suggested he was being encouraged to balance the books each summer with regards to transfer funds. This year appears no different currently as we appear to have brought funds in from lesser players such as Mannone, Gervinho etc.

Football clubs are businesses for the most part (oil tycoon playthings apart) and these businesses need to see returns for their shareholders (like it or not!). Arsenal are one of the best run businesses in football, and for the most part do not take risks financially that are not justifiable in an economic sense, I know they use complex algorithms when assessing players. Wenger is simply the manager, the press and fans do not seem to realise quite how multimillion pound businesses are run, as they follow headlines about what Gazidis, Wenger, Law etc have been up to. They ignore the money men behind the scenes, the directors, the less glamorous background staff. I think Wenger is answerable to many things, but its a misconception that he or any other manager in the Premier league is in charge of their clubs, they are not. They are in charge of the team, very little else.

Real business men conduct matters professionally and quietly and while I know it will probably be an unpopular opinion, Silent Stan is a prime example of a successful businessman running a business successfully. The only problem is, most businesses don't have the emotions attached to them that football clubs have.

Just as a final note, imagine whatever your day job is. You probably have a principle responsibility that takes up 80/90% of your time, you might then have other staff members to look after, you then probably get called to meetings, answer emails, telephone calls. Eventually you run out of time and have to prioritise what is most important in your day.

Now imagine a typical football managers day, with 30/40 squad members to train with, coaching staff to meet, fitness regimes to go through, meetings with the board members, promotional activities, press requirements.... I can imagine their days very quickly fill up with the daily grind and while that is no excuse for not finding time for other pressing matters such as transfers, I'd imagine Wenger has very little to do with the daily grind of finding and negotiating these deals. It is simply not his job.

Refreshing to read an opinion so close to mine.

Regarding the highlighted bit I think back to two interviews one with Nigel Winterburn and the other with Aaron Ramsey.

Winterburn said that whenever contracts or wages came up in a discussion with Wenger all that was said by Wenger was "do you want to extend?" If Winterburn said yes then Wenger would get Dein to talk to Winterburn and his agent and do the deal. Wenger didn't do any of it himself.

Ramsey made comment that he was torn between joining us or Man Utd when leaving Cardiff and the thing that turned it our way is that Wenger flew in to have a discussion with him about his future at the club. This heavily hints that if Ramsey hadn't had last minute jitters then the deal would have been done without Wenger being present at all. Even when he did get involved the talk was about football not money.

I remember these particular interviews ever time that people accuse Wenger of cocking up our negotiations. He simply isn't involved.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby Thynker » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Wenger out.
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby ROCK GOONER » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 pm

ADJAFC - In Pod We Trust wrote:But has he Nick?

The TEAM is the club. Football is a game to win and its the TEAM that wins the games not the boardroom. It is an absolute travesty that wenger has won NOTHING in 8 years and since then wigan and Birmingham have, to mention but a few. I can guarantee you that, had he won at least 2 domestic cups in that time, many dissenters on here would still be behind him. HE! wenger that is, has treated the cup competitions disgracefully and neglected them for the sake of 4th place. Yes qualify for 4th place if we think that is realistically what we can only hope for but WIN A DOEMSTIC CUP somewhere along the way to appease the fans.
ROCK GOONER

Postby JORDENtheYOUNGGUNNER » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Im still for wenger, in terms of the league he is doing what is expected of him with the players we have. In the past eight years i do think we should have won a cup, but even if you have the best team and are the best manager you cant guarantee a cup because in a one off game anything can happen.

people that blame wenger for anything off the pitch should blame the board they have the power to fire him.
Arsenal Runs Through My Blood
I Bleed It.
JORDENtheYOUNGGUNNER
Forum Supporter

Postby Veggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:56 pm

ROCK GOONER wrote:
The TEAM is the club. Football is a game to win and its the TEAM that wins the games not the boardroom. It is an absolute travesty that wenger has won NOTHING in 8 years and since then wigan and Birmingham have, to mention but a few. I can guarantee you that, had he won at least 2 domestic cups in that time, many dissenters on here would still be behind him. HE! wenger that is, has treated the cup competitions disgracefully and neglected them for the sake of 4th place. Yes qualify for 4th place if we think that is realistically what we can only hope for but WIN A DOEMSTIC CUP somewhere along the way to appease the fans.

In fairness though RG, he put out virtually a 1st eleven against Blackburn and Bradford so I think he was taking them seriously last season.
We still got knocked out of both though
Veggie
Forum Supporter

Postby wilko331984 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Veggie wrote:
ROCK GOONER wrote:

In fairness though RG, he put out virtually a 1st eleven against Blackburn and Bradford so I think he was taking them seriously last season.
We still got knocked out of both though

Is that because Wenger isn't getting the players to constantly perform though?

I've recently turned to Wenger out but that's mainly because he seems to be stuck in the early 00's. I believe he could take us forward again if he just dropped his stubbornness. Until then, I'll be against.
wilko331984
Forum Supporter

Next

Return to Arsenal Chat