The hunt for the new manager

Discuss all things Arsenal

Re: The hunt for the new manager

Postby Hobart » Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 pm

louder wrote:
Hobart wrote:I think Arteta is nailed on for two reasons....

1. No experienced manager of any calibre will take the job with the budget we are offering.
2. No Mercenary manager will take the job with the salary we will be offering.

That leaves novices. Vieira and Arteta. Vieira maybe later down the line but i think Gazidis and Co think they can control Arteta more.

Either way, and I'm sad to say this, they are on course to fail big time.

What do you mean when you say Gazidis and Co want to control Mikel Arteta ?

From all of the noises and actions coming out of the club I think they are going for a more collective management team. Where they work as a group rather than one individual. Someone like Mourinho or Conte or many other experienced managers wouldn’t accept that sort of approach. They would want to be the point of power that I think Gazidis fancies himself as. Arteta being new and inexperienced may well accept it.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Wed May 16, 2018 9:36 pm

Hobart wrote:
louder wrote:
Hobart wrote:I think Arteta is nailed on for two reasons....

1. No experienced manager of any calibre will take the job with the budget we are offering.
2. No Mercenary manager will take the job with the salary we will be offering.

That leaves novices. Vieira and Arteta. Vieira maybe later down the line but i think Gazidis and Co think they can control Arteta more.

Either way, and I'm sad to say this, they are on course to fail big time.

What do you mean when you say Gazidis and Co want to control Mikel Arteta ?

From all of the noises and actions coming out of the club I think they are going for a more collective management team. Where they work as a group rather than one individual. Someone like Mourinho or Conte or many other experienced managers wouldn’t accept that sort of approach. They would want to be the point of power that I think Gazidis fancies himself as. Arteta being new and inexperienced may well accept it.

Isn't Gazidis just doing his job ? And wouldn't Arteta just be filling the role on offer ? Each person in their respective roles will have control in heir specific area, and Arteta will have control of his. To say he's coming in because he's easy to control is so disrespectful. Wenger was labelled a dictator and now the opposite is being said of people who aren't even in position yet.
In the current proposed structure, the vacancy needs a Coach, not a traditional Manager, therefore Arteta may be a decent choice. Let's face it, he'll struggle to be a worse Coach than he was player for us, as he was bloody awfull. .
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

As I said on another thread that Gazidis is taking the powers that Wenger had under his control with his three amigos in place he only needs a coach.
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 pm

potter wrote:As I said on another thread that Gazidis is taking the powers that Wenger had under his control with his three amigos in place he only needs a coach.

Gazidis isn't taking the powers. He's recruiting others to take on the different responsibilities that now need looking after. Your so dramatic, P.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Not particularly dramatic just opining on who will be calling the shots now.

potter
Forum Supporter

Postby ForeverRed » Sun May 20, 2018 9:04 am

Well i'm quite excited for our new direction.

Whoever it is we must all get behind the club :flag:
COYG*WIGGY OUT*FOYS
ForeverRed
Forum Supporter

Postby Red Snapper » Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm

When Billy Wright moved on and a new manager was appointed I remember thinking "he's just the physio; we'll win nothing with him in charge". After the moderate success of Terry Neill (who should have done better with that squad) and the surprising failure of Don Howe, I wondered if hiring the Millwall manager was the right way to go. After GG was ousted and Rioch lost the dressing room, I questioned hiring an obscure Frenchman nobody had heard of so, although I would like a big name, already successful coach, I've learned to wait and see before judging.
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Latest is that Arteta has rejected or Arsenal have changed their minds and Emery the ex PSG coach is being talked to.
Latest odds evens Arteta 11/10 Emery.
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm

Unai Emery set to be named as our new manager according to the BBC.
Dicks brother :D "oh you are awful but I like you" showing my age
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Mon May 21, 2018 7:38 pm

It`s just been confirmed Emery is our new manager
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 21, 2018 7:43 pm

First thoughts is that it is a good choice as his Seville team played good football .
At PSG only the Champions League mattered as they are the Celtic of France.
Use to working with superstars but as with Seville can build a team.
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Thynker » Mon May 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Interesting.

Probably helps there's no compensation fee to be paid....

Why would PSG let him go?
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Mon May 21, 2018 8:57 pm

The fourth official had better watch out for the handbags

potter
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 am

Thynker wrote:Interesting.

Probably helps there's no compensation fee to be paid....

Why would PSG let him go?

He never won the Champions League
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Tue May 22, 2018 8:41 am

He did however win the pot that's at our current level 3 times . So perhaps we start there and go on.

potter
Forum Supporter

Postby gunnerrob » Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm

I suspect that whoever gets appointed won’t satisfy all but this is now the season to be 100% behind the new coaching staff and give them a fair go.

Whilst I am disappointed that the available transfer funds appear small - the new manager will be aware of the brief and possible financial limitations and will accept on those terms.

One thing for sure whoever it is will - if he does not bring success - be easier to sack!!!
gunnerrob

Postby Gunnersaurus » Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Really happy with this appointment, we are not an elite CL/PL winning team anymore so an elite manager is not coming here, don't mean we have to gamble on a punt like Arteta either (although was coming around to the idea) Emery is a nice safe pair of hands, 10 trophies in 5 years (few managers can match that) did it at lesser clubs, ok, never won the CL with PSG but that club had so many egos, it looks like an impossible job, can't hold that against him and he did do a domestic treble.

The last thing this club needs to do now is gamble and risk falling even further behind, Emery has pedigree and experience, if he wins some cups and wins the Europa (like he has done several times in the past) it'll be a good way of rebooting the team and cleaning up the mess Wenger is leaving behind.

His attention to detail sounds just like what these players need, they'll be shocked and I expect a lot of them to improve with such detail being drilled to them.

Can't wait for him to get going, very happy, glad the club saw sense and didn't go down the Arteta route.
Gunnersaurus
Forum Supporter

Postby Hobart » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Hobart wrote:]I think Arteta is nailed on for two reasons....

Got that entirely wrong. Wonder what really happened?
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Previous

Return to Arsenal Chat