Per Mertesacker

Put all your player reviews from each match here

Re: Per Mertesacker

Postby potter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:07 am

People are too quick to hit him with the pace stick . His positioning is excellent and providing his midfield don't ball watch and allow him to get caught one on one his organisation is why our defence has improved. Lastly :- How quick was Bobby Moore ? . Same meat different gravy.
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
User avatar
potter
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 6692
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 pm
Location: Norfolk Broads

Re: Per Mertesacker

Postby louder » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:19 am

potter wrote:People are too quick to hit him with the pace stick . His positioning is excellent and providing his midfield don't ball watch and allow him to get caught one on one his organisation is why our defence has improved. Lastly :- How quick was Bobby Moore ? . Same meat different gravy.


I'm glad you've brought this up as I've been considering a re-think on my view of this player. Reason being, anyone who's part of a back five that keeps a clean sheet against the current Bayern lot can't be that terrible. I held back from saying so because, as you mention, it's more that others are working around him than anything HE's doing different. We were so deep against Bayern that he was barely on his own at any point, and this is the problem. Can anyone tell me that when he comes up against a quick forward who makes clever runs they don't cover their eyes ? I still do.
I don't see an awful lot of organisation coming from Per either. In fact, since Cech has come in he can regularly be seen telling Per to get moving while the ball is in his hands (Per can be lazy when the 'keeper has the ball - rest time for per).
Also, it would be very unfair on Kos and Gabriel to lay the good defensive run at Per's feet as these two have been very good for the same period.

A fairer question than 'How quick was Bobby Moore' would be 'How slow of the mark was bobby Moore'. Answer - Not as slow as Per. Still gives me the sh*ts. One thing has changed though. I now think we can win the PL with Per in the side. I concede that.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
User avatar
louder
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 10192
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Arsenal Wenger !

Re: Per Mertesacker

Postby Rainham Red » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:15 pm

louder wrote:
potter wrote:People are too quick to hit him with the pace stick . His positioning is excellent and providing his midfield don't ball watch and allow him to get caught one on one his organisation is why our defence has improved. Lastly :- How quick was Bobby Moore ? . Same meat different gravy.


I'm glad you've brought this up as I've been considering a re-think on my view of this player. Reason being, anyone who's part of a back five that keeps a clean sheet against the current Bayern lot can't be that terrible. I held back from saying so because, as you mention, it's more that others are working around him than anything HE's doing different. We were so deep against Bayern that he was barely on his own at any point, and this is the problem. Can anyone tell me that when he comes up against a quick forward who makes clever runs they don't cover their eyes ? I still do.
I don't see an awful lot of organisation coming from Per either. In fact, since Cech has come in he can regularly be seen telling Per to get moving while the ball is in his hands (Per can be lazy when the 'keeper has the ball - rest time for per).
Also, it would be very unfair on Kos and Gabriel to lay the good defensive run at Per's feet as these two have been very good for the same period.

A fairer question than 'How quick was Bobby Moore' would be 'How slow of the mark was bobby Moore'. Answer - Not as slow as Per. Still gives me the sh*ts. One thing has changed though. I now think we can win the PL with Per in the side. I concede that.


Mert is very slow and always has been but he makes up for it by reading the game so well. I think, however, this will be his last season as 1st choice as Gabriel and Kos are the future. One worry about the BFG is the number of games he misses because of `illness` something that I find strange.
User avatar
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 12138
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Rainham KENT

Per Mertesacker

Postby I Believe Overall » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:20 pm

He's not perfect but then who is?

Tony Adams was clumsy for many years and was slow off the mark sometimes as well - but I'd have him in any of my sides of any era. I think John Terry is probably the closest there is to a perfect defender - left and right foot, fast, strong in the air - unbeatable in a physical challenge....I'm off for a wash now....

I do speed testing for my kids (they've no idea its going on) and most of it is reaction and preparation times not speed across the ground. Getting the mind working is better than the legs.

I think Per does have the required intelligence - he's definitely got plenty to make up for his lack of starting pace.
me neither
I Believe Overall
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Per Mertesacker

Postby Denten » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Get rid
Specialists in FA cup wins.Enjoy the moments.
Denten
 
Posts: 3678
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Barnet

Per Mertesacker

Postby louder » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 am

Denten wrote:Get rid


Absolutely. The geezer has been boring the tits off me with his interviews and his turning circles since day one. Proof that you need more than just an ability to read the game to get by over here.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
User avatar
louder
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 10192
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Arsenal Wenger !

Re: Per Mertesacker

Postby radford149 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:07 am

Rainham Red wrote:
louder wrote:
potter wrote:People are too quick to hit him with the pace stick . His positioning is excellent and providing his midfield don't ball watch and allow him to get caught one on one his organisation is why our defence has improved. Lastly :- How quick was Bobby Moore ? . Same meat different gravy.


I'm glad you've brought this up as I've been considering a re-think on my view of this player. Reason being, anyone who's part of a back five that keeps a clean sheet against the current Bayern lot can't be that terrible. I held back from saying so because, as you mention, it's more that others are working around him than anything HE's doing different. We were so deep against Bayern that he was barely on his own at any point, and this is the problem. Can anyone tell me that when he comes up against a quick forward who makes clever runs they don't cover their eyes ? I still do.
I don't see an awful lot of organisation coming from Per either. In fact, since Cech has come in he can regularly be seen telling Per to get moving while the ball is in his hands (Per can be lazy when the 'keeper has the ball - rest time for per).
Also, it would be very unfair on Kos and Gabriel to lay the good defensive run at Per's feet as these two have been very good for the same period.

A fairer question than 'How quick was Bobby Moore' would be 'How slow of the mark was bobby Moore'. Answer - Not as slow as Per. Still gives me the sh*ts. One thing has changed though. I now think we can win the PL with Per in the side. I concede that.


Mert is very slow and always has been but he makes up for it by reading the game so well. I think, however, this will be his last season as 1st choice as Gabriel and Kos are the future. One worry about the BFG is the number of games he misses because of `illness` something that I find strange.


loved the bloke and he was of great use and influence after the old toilet debacle, his presence around the club was there to see particularity when he had a go at stroppy ozil at the arabs. but its time to say goodbye even though the other two aren't much cop.
radford149
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: waiting for the first train, that's late again

Re: Per Mertesacker

Postby doritobrother » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 am

radford149 wrote:
Rainham Red wrote:
louder wrote:
potter wrote:People are too quick to hit him with the pace stick . His positioning is excellent and providing his midfield don't ball watch and allow him to get caught one on one his organisation is why our defence has improved. Lastly :- How quick was Bobby Moore ? . Same meat different gravy.


I'm glad you've brought this up as I've been considering a re-think on my view of this player. Reason being, anyone who's part of a back five that keeps a clean sheet against the current Bayern lot can't be that terrible. I held back from saying so because, as you mention, it's more that others are working around him than anything HE's doing different. We were so deep against Bayern that he was barely on his own at any point, and this is the problem. Can anyone tell me that when he comes up against a quick forward who makes clever runs they don't cover their eyes ? I still do.
I don't see an awful lot of organisation coming from Per either. In fact, since Cech has come in he can regularly be seen telling Per to get moving while the ball is in his hands (Per can be lazy when the 'keeper has the ball - rest time for per).
Also, it would be very unfair on Kos and Gabriel to lay the good defensive run at Per's feet as these two have been very good for the same period.

A fairer question than 'How quick was Bobby Moore' would be 'How slow of the mark was bobby Moore'. Answer - Not as slow as Per. Still gives me the sh*ts. One thing has changed though. I now think we can win the PL with Per in the side. I concede that.


Mert is very slow and always has been but he makes up for it by reading the game so well. I think, however, this will be his last season as 1st choice as Gabriel and Kos are the future. One worry about the BFG is the number of games he misses because of `illness` something that I find strange.


loved the bloke and he was of great use and influence after the old toilet debacle, his presence around the club was there to see particularity when he had a go at stroppy ozil at the arabs. but its time to say goodbye even though the other two aren't much cop.

The old git is bang on here.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
“I am going to make this the greatest club in the world.” Herbert Chapman, 1925
User avatar
doritobrother
Forum Supporter
 
Posts: 5750
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Previous


Return to Player Reviews



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


cron