THE OLD NORTH BANK

Fancy reminiscing? Here's the place to discuss players of the past, games gone by and more...

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby potter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 pm

I remember Haverty little guy on the wing , Jimmy Bloomfield , Vic Groves ( Perry's uncle I believe ) I used to go on a large ledge just infront of a crash barrier in line with the edge of the penalty area and the left touchline . I remember my first match in 1956 , as we walked up the back steps my mum said stop here and just look at the pitch and take it in. That was the last I saw of her until just after half time as I was scooped up and passed over the heads of the crowd to the front. I was 9 yrs at the time.
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 am

islandboy wrote:The 1950's!!! The good old days, I was working at the age of 15 at Simpsons in Piccadilly and every saturday that the gunners were at home we finished work at 1pm and went straight into the Three Crowns Pub for an hour before travelling on the tube to Arsenal and getting in the North End queue and paying a bob to get in (my wages in those days were £1-7-6d) and I lived in Romford, our group were always on the step at the lefthand side of the goal and I can remember little Jo Haverty running down right wing, Tommy Docherty, John Radford, Don Roper and many more that I have forgotten.

If anybody attempted to stand on our wall it did'nt take us long to remove them and we never got put in the cage as we were to clever for that, all the mates I had then have all disappeared from the face of the earth we did'nt have segregation in those days but we had a very good time.

THOSE REALLY WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS. :oldgit:

I remember Joe Haverty tricky little winger he was tiny made Cazorla look like Peter Crouch.He died in 2009 aged 72
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby islandboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Rainham Red wrote:
islandboy wrote:The 1950's!!! The good old days, I was working at the age of 15 at Simpsons in Piccadilly and every saturday that the gunners were at home we finished work at 1pm and went straight into the Three Crowns Pub for an hour before travelling on the tube to Arsenal and getting in the North End queue and paying a bob to get in (my wages in those days were £1-7-6d) and I lived in Romford, our group were always on the step at the lefthand side of the goal and I can remember little Jo Haverty running down right wing, Tommy Docherty, John Radford, Don Roper and many more that I have forgotten.

If anybody attempted to stand on our wall it did'nt take us long to remove them and we never got put in the cage as we were to clever for that, all the mates I had then have all disappeared from the face of the earth we did'nt have segregation in those days but we had a very good time.

I remember Joe Haverty tricky little winger he was tiny made Cazorla look like Peter Crouch.He died in 2009 aged 72

Wow I did'nt know that, he was the same age as me, "It must be the Isle of Wight air that does the trick, I am 75 now and still visiting the Emirates Stadium. :oldgit:
Dodgyrog is my name and Islandboy is where my location is.
islandboy

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

islandboy wrote:
Rainham Red wrote:

Wow I did'nt know that, he was the same age as me, "It must be the Isle of Wight air that does the trick, I am 75 now and still visiting the Emirates Stadium. :oldgit:

I wish I was as young as you :oldgit:
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Re: THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby dropshort » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm

This is a good thread can I ask some of the more senior posters if you've noticed a change in the Polices' attitude over the years? As when I first went to the North bank it was terraced and was also during the early 80's and fans were viewed quite shoddily by all.Was it like this during the 50's and 60's?
dropshort

Postby Rainham Red » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:41 am

dropshort wrote:This is a good thread can I ask some of the more senior posters if you've noticed a change in the Polices' attitude over the years? As when I first went to the North bank it was terraced and was also during the early 80's and fans were viewed quite shoddily by all.Was it like this during the 50's and 60's?

During the 50`s the crowd was lightly policed,there was no segregation but very little trouble maybe a couple of opposing fans trading a few punches occasionally.Things started hotting up in the 60`s with gangs appearing and trying to take the Home sides main area like the North Bank,Shed etc. This meant a heavier Police presence and they used to get stuck in the younger Policemen seemed to enjoy it.By the 70`s before going to the match you made a last will and testament because you were not sure you would be coming home again in a few sad cases this did happen.Gradually because of better control and CCTV things got better and now trouble it`s more or less eradicated
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby islandboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Having finished work at 1pm we were dressed in uniform charcoal grey suits with white stiff collars and tie and if it was raining we wore raincoats over our suits, there was no sitting, we went in eating hot chestnuts (wow they were lovely) and way up at the back was a cafe serving tea at halftime and you were lucky to get back before the 2nd half started (a bit like today really). As the north end was close to the arsenal tube station we managed to get down there without queuing and back to the west end in no time.

Most people in the 50's dressed quite smartly and we were not out of place. :oldgit:
Dodgyrog is my name and Islandboy is where my location is.
islandboy

Postby StefanSchwarz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 am

Where was this cage then for detaining trouble makers?
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

Postby 595 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:58 pm

StefanSchwarz wrote:Where was this cage then for detaining trouble makers?

Below the Clockend ........................

So I'm told Image

Postby FOYS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:49 pm

595 wrote:
StefanSchwarz wrote:Where was this cage then for detaining trouble makers?

Below the Clockend ........................

So I'm told Image

There was a holding room in the NB in the mid 70's........ aparrently ;)
What did she wear......
She wore,she wore,she wore a yellow ribbon......

Keep St George in my heart keep me English......
FOYS

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Swede » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Rip roar
Swede

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:19 am

Swede wrote:Rip roar

Whatever happened to him?
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby StefanSchwarz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Anyone got anything else to add to these memories of the old North Bank?
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

Postby Rainham Red » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:43 am

StefanSchwarz wrote:Anyone got anything else to add to these memories of the old North Bank?

I remember that the passageways were so narrow that half-time you couldn`t move to get to the loo or refreshments. You could have chariot races in the Emirates passageways.
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby Red Snapper » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:16 am

Rainham Red wrote:
StefanSchwarz wrote:Anyone got anything else to add to these memories of the old North Bank?

I remember that the passageways were so narrow that half-time you couldn`t move to get to the loo or refreshments. You could have chariot races in the Emirates passageways.

I'd pay to watch that!
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Postby Rainham Red » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 pm

Red Snapper wrote:
Rainham Red wrote:

I'd pay to watch that!

You could take part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31sXoATz5Y
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:27 pm

You could have chariot races in the Emirates passageways at half time . Generally they do 5 minutes before the end of the first half and 10 minutes from the end of the match .
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

Previous

Return to The Olden Days.....