THE OLD NORTH BANK

Fancy reminiscing? Here's the place to discuss players of the past, games gone by and more...

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby StefanSchwarz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:54 pm

Having browsed the Online Gooner Forum for a couple of years, I remember there being a thread about the old North Bank terrace. I was too young to ever watch a game from there or even see it but I wish I did. My Dad had a season ticket there and has told me some things about there.

What was it like standing there? Having seen pictures of it, what was right at the back? Does anyone havde any pictures from inside the North Bank that they can upload onto here?

Thanks guys, damn I wish I was 10 years older.
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby STG » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:04 am

Can I recommend 'The End' by Tom Watt an excellent book all about the North Bank with lots of stories and pictures. Published by Mainstream Publishing in 1993

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Years-Life- ... 227&sr=1-2
STG
Statto

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby unclefester » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Stood there many times before going up the clock end.
Right at the back was where the chaps stood,it had an atmosphere of it's own especially on Derby days,when the marsh dwellers or the mile end mob pitched up for a tear up,it got pretty hairy back there,but you got to know people you would not see outside the ground,and it bonded you together.It did not matter how bad the team were,you still roared them on,only towards the end of the Don Howe era did it get a little iffy.
I loved every other Saturday at the Arse stood same place same people,and all for a shilling
All men are created equal except some are more equal then others
ALways a Gooner never a consumer.
unclefester

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Benny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 am

STG wrote:Can I recommend 'The End' by Tom Watt an excellent book all about the North Bank with lots of stories and pictures. Published by Mainstream Publishing in 1993

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Years-Life- ... 227&sr=1-2

As someone who was too young to stand on the North Bank I recommend The End as well, its a great social history on the Arsenal and of course the North Bank.
Benny

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Schizoid Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 am

I too was an old North Banker...1978 - 1991 (before the demolished it and I decided if I was going to sit down it would be in the posh seats!).
Does anyone remember the guy who always used to shout 'Come on you rip roarin' Gunners' very loadly in the North Bank only to be greeted with the mass calls of 'Shut Up!' ? Used to make me laugh every match.
Last edited by Schizoid Mark on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Nelson's Bottom
Schizoid Mark

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Red Snapper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am

"Peanuts! Tanner a bag" :thumbs:
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby MRGNU1958 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:15 am

i stood on the raised step at one of the corners..The uncovered bit..GREAT GREAT DAYS!! :mrgnu:
MRGNU1958

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Schizoid Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Red Snapper wrote:....and your wise men don't know how it feels
to be thick
as a brick.

Are you a big Jethro Tull fan then Red? Realised it was from 'Thick as A Brick' (great album!) but any reference to the Gunners in that?
Sammy Nelson's Bottom
Schizoid Mark

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby unclefester » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Every home match i hoped the copper dropped the mace,i think he did once
unclefester

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby MRGNU1958 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm

He did indeed..BTW..he dropped it twice that day
MRGNU1958

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby unclefester » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:42 pm

The Horses Mouth wrote:He did indeed..BTW..he dropped it twice that day

Thought he did, he took some clog for that.
unclefester

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Chippy Brady » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I used to work on the turnstyles from 1980-1986, the players used to pass us on the stairs sometimes when we waiting, to pick up our bag and area card. We used to have a pass that let us go around the whole ground. I used to go in the North Bank, i was only young at the time but you had a great atmosphere behind the goal. To get in there was about 2.50-3.50 something like that on the day, I do miss the standing and just turning up on the day and paying, it isnt really the same now.
The Irish Magician
Chippy Brady
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Red Snapper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Schizoid Mark wrote:
to be thick
as a brick.

Are you a big Jethro Tull fan then Red? Realised it was from 'Thick as A Brick' (great album!) but any reference to the Gunners in that?

Just from that time (early 70's), saw them live a couple of times. Played the album recently and it just clicked. No Gunners reference, just life really!
AFCINMYDNA

Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Schizoid Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Red Snapper wrote:
Schizoid Mark wrote:
to be thick
as a brick.

Just from that time (early 70's), saw them live a couple of times. Played the album recently and it just clicked. No Gunners reference, just life really!

Cool! Saw them myself a few times (never admitted I liked them when I was into Punk though!) loved the fact a band could have people in it with names such as 'Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond' and 'Barrimore Barlow'! ..classic!, I should imagine Ian Anderson is a Blackpool fan if he's into football at all. My 'Schizoid' monicker comes from a love of King Crimson btw.
Sammy Nelson's Bottom
Schizoid Mark

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Red Snapper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:18 pm

My 'Schizoid' monicker comes from a love of King Crimson btw.

And now it's the 21st century and you're a man!! Never got into them, moved on to more Clapton/lizzie type things. You must be nearly as old as me :(
AFCINMYDNA

Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Reg Niseth » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 am

Stood right a the back of the NB from '75 for a couple of years before going on the CE. At the very back was about 10 steps for terracing, then a walkway. In front of that was the plod viewing step so they could look at the middle of the NB.

We used to chuck things at them, fags, peanuts etc. Then they'd steam into us and drag a few away to the Cage where you'd spend the rest of the game. downstairs was the green hut serving warm McKewans, Golden wonder Ready salted and wagon wheels..

A few times we'd have a battle with the scum and Mile End Mob under the NB. also at the back were sliding doors so the pitch could get a blow dry. When up against the MEM in '75 it really was men against boys.

In later years they turned that part of terracing into one long refreshment bar.

The sound of DM's running across an empty terrace will stay with me forever.

although I was too young to be there at the time, those that were will say the Fairs Cup 2nd Leg was the best ever atmosphere onn the NB.
LOYALTY TO CLUB, ALWAYS. LOYALTY TO THOSE THAT RUN IT, WHEN THEY DESERVE IT.
Reg Niseth

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby CALO » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:33 am

my place of heaven forever lost and disresepcted by the club

:night:
Wenger Fav Song - 38 Games of Water Bottles

38 Water Bottles to be thrown on the pitch
and if another goal from set piece should accidently go in
there be 37 water more bottles left to throw on he pitch
CALO
Banned

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby StefanSchwarz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Reg Niseth wrote:Stood right a the back of the NB from '75 for a couple of years before going on the CE. At the very back was about 10 steps for terracing, then a walkway. In front of that was the plod viewing step so they could look at the middle of the NB.

We used to chuck things at them, fags, peanuts etc. Then they'd steam into us and drag a few away to the Cage where you'd spend the rest of the game. downstairs was the green hut serving warm McKewans, Golden wonder Ready salted and wagon wheels..A few times we'd have a battle with the scum and Mile End Mob under the NB. also at the back were sliding doors so the pitch could get a blow dry. When up against the MEM in '75 it really was men against boys.

In later years they turned that part of terracing into one long refreshment bar.

although I was too young to be there at the time, those that were will say the Fairs Cup 2nd Leg was the best ever atmosphere onn the NB.

What was 'the cage' Reg? And where was downstairs? Behind the North Bank?
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Reg Niseth » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:32 pm

StefanSchwarz wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:Stood right a the back of the NB from '75 for a couple of years before going on the CE. At the very back was about 10 steps for terracing, then a walkway. In front of that was the plod viewing step so they could look at the middle of the NB.

We used to chuck things at them, fags, peanuts etc. Then they'd steam into us and drag a few away to the Cage where you'd spend the rest of the game. downstairs was the green hut serving warm McKewans, Golden wonder Ready salted and wagon wheels..A few times we'd have a battle with the scum and Mile End Mob under the NB. also at the back were sliding doors so the pitch could get a blow dry. When up against the MEM in '75 it really was men against boys.

What was 'the cage' Reg? And where was downstairs? Behind the North Bank?

The Cage was a high-walled pen where plod used to put you after they'd taken your details. Part of one wall were bars just like prison. Behind the NB was a muddy slope at either end was steps leading down to the green hut
LOYALTY TO CLUB, ALWAYS. LOYALTY TO THOSE THAT RUN IT, WHEN THEY DESERVE IT.
Reg Niseth

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

I will never forget it. second only to Anfield in 89.3-1 down from the 1st Leg to one of the best sides in Europe at the time, the atmosphere was red hot and as each goal went in it became white hot and when the final whistle went and we had won our first trophy for 17 years I admit I was crying with happiness and I wasn`t the only one either.Great,great night.
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Next

Return to The Olden Days.....