THE OLD NORTH BANK

Fancy reminiscing? Here's the place to discuss players of the past, games gone by and more...

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby I Believe Overall » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:45 pm

You could jump the wall from the JG section in the west lower (set below the pitch) into the North Bank where you could get a higher view as long as it wasn't too busy (or you were too short) you could see enough of the game.

I loved the North Bank - it always made me feel like a man to stand there when I wasn't.
me neither
I Believe Overall
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby rebel gooner » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:08 am

i stayed over by the corners after nearly been crushed in the middle one game :) but loved everything it about from been frisked by the police to walking up the steps and looking at the beauty of highbury.
Image ITS ARSENAL FC NOT ARSENE FC
rebel gooner

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby olgit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I stood on the Northbank from the mid 1960's until the early 1970's.

It was actually called the North Terrace by the club. We nicked "Northbank" from West Ham.

In those far off, and wonderful, days we used to pay a few "bob" at the turnstiles and walk in. No tickets. No segregation.

There was a walkway dividing the top quarter of the Northbank from the lower part. On derby days the back part would be taken by away fans (if there were enough of them). We had a similar arrangement at chelsea, where we used to stand in one half of the shed. And at the lane where we used to stand in one half of the shelf. No such arrangement existed with west ham. They were hard, nasty bastards. Well, harder and nastier than us. Normally.

The support in the Northbank was fantastic. Even during the days of dire football and mid-table normality. There were songs and chants aplenty. We even used to cheer the announcement of the attendance figures. 40,000 was a big take. Oh yeh!!!

I never understood why ClockEnders chose to be where the were. No cover from the rain. And no roof to echo the sound of songs and chanting.

My best experience on the Northbank has to be the Fairs Cup (soon to be EUFA Cup) Final v Anderlecht. We had beaten a better team (Ajax) in the semi. But we were 3-1 down from the first leg of the final. Again, it was pay at the turnstile. I even took a workmate with me who had never been to Highbury. Lucky sod. The atmosphere was electric. We had won bugger all for years. Two horrible League Cup Finals v Leeds and Swindon had preceded. It was our chance to actually win something. And we did.
olgit

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 am

My best experience on the Northbank has to be the Fairs Cup (soon to be EUFA Cup) Final v Anderlecht. We had beaten a better team (Ajax) in the semi. But we were 3-1 down from the first leg of the final. Again, it was pay at the turnstile. I even took a workmate with me who had never been to Highbury. Lucky sod. The atmosphere was electric. We had won bugger all for years. Two horrible League Cup Finals v Leeds and Swindon had preceded. It was our chance to actually win something. And we did.

Morning olgit.See my post on page 1 about the game v Anderlecht it was a magical night
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby cas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm

hmph
cas

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Rainham Red » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:07 pm

cas wrote:hmph

Have you a cough?
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby cas » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Rainham Red wrote:
cas wrote:hmph

Have you a cough?

No, the moment has passed, but my name was the last post on all of the topics when I pressed Board Index except for a couple, so I posted those threads to put my name up. For a while, it was just me!
cas

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Mikeyb » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Stood there from 1990 best times ever as a gooner. Stood midway up in front of a walkway , directly behind a barrier. Remember seeing Tom Watts walking up and down taking pictures and interviewing people.

Also remember a nutty guy everyone called slaphead who once picked me up during an almighty surge. I was only about 13-14

Best and saddest memory was the last game standing in the north bank. Think we were drawing at half time and the atmosphere was really down and nobody making much noise. Some guy stood on the barrier right by me and started screaming at us like a mad man. He made a war cry that made everyone listen, and told us to respect the north bank and make it go out properly. Wish I could remember all he said but it was ages ago.

The place went mental after that and the noise sucked in Ian wrights goals to win him the golden boot. When he scored the 3rd goal he celebrated with the North bank and it was chaos.

After that we all stayed for a sit down protest. Made a fire and I threw in my socks ha-ha! The filth steamed in after that with unnecessary force
Mikeyb

Re: THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby StefanSchwarz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 am

I am so jealous of all of you who were able to go on the NB. My Dad was a season ticket holder on the NB in 80/81 season and can remember the Sammy Nelson testimonial against Celtic and a sea of green and white at the Clock End.
He can also remember the game after Peter Shilton got caught having an affair and Graham Rix beating him at the near post with a free kick in front of the NB and he still swears that Shilton only conceded because of the NB!
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Reg Niseth » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Mikeyb wrote:Stood there from 1990 best times ever as a gooner. Stood midway up in front of a walkway , directly behind a barrier. Remember seeing Tom Watts walking up and down taking pictures and interviewing people.

Also remember a nutty guy everyone called slaphead who once picked me up during an almighty surge. I was only about 13-14

Best and saddest memory was the last game standing in the north bank. Think we were drawing at half time and the atmosphere was really down and nobody making much noise. Some guy stood on the barrier right by me and started screaming at us like a mad man. He made a war cry that made everyone listen, and told us to respect the north bank and make it go out properly. Wish I could remember all he said but it was ages ago.

The place went mental after that and the noise sucked in Ian wrights goals to win him the golden boot. When he scored the 3rd goal he celebrated with the North bank and it was chaos.

After that we all stayed for a sit down protest. Made a fire and I threw in my socks ha-ha! The filth steamed in after that with unnecessary force

Me and mate decided to recreate the old tradition of throwing toilet roll down the terrace . . . there was none, so he kicked open the towel roll in the gents and we threw that down like a giant bog roll. It was then gathered up and someone set light to it.
LOYALTY TO CLUB, ALWAYS. LOYALTY TO THOSE THAT RUN IT, WHEN THEY DESERVE IT.
Reg Niseth

Postby STG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm

yeah i get your question arsenal is better then any other team thats my opinion
STG
Statto

Postby STG » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:37 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
applaude: :crying: :pint: :bottle: :afcbanner: :flag: :pigfly: arsenal is the bestt team i the world thats my opinion [/color]
STG
Statto

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby StefanSchwarz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:18 am

Reg Niseth wrote:
StefanSchwarz wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:Stood right a the back of the NB from '75 for a couple of years before going on the CE. At the very back was about 10 steps for terracing, then a walkway. In front of that was the plod viewing step so they could look at the middle of the NB.

We used to chuck things at them, fags, peanuts etc. Then they'd steam into us and drag a few away to the Cage where you'd spend the rest of the game. downstairs was the green hut serving warm McKewans, Golden wonder Ready salted and wagon wheels..A few times we'd have a battle with the scum and Mile End Mob under the NB. also at the back were sliding doors so the pitch could get a blow dry. When up against the MEM in '75 it really was men against boys.

In later years they turned that part of terracing into one long refreshment bar.

The sound of DM's running across an empty terrace will stay with me forever.

although I was too young to be there at the time, those that were will say the Fairs Cup 2nd Leg was the best ever atmosphere onn the NB.

What was 'the cage' Reg? And where was downstairs? Behind the North Bank?

The Cage was a high-walled pen where plod used to put you after they'd taken your details. Part of one wall were bars just like prison. Behind the NB was a muddy slope at either end was steps leading down to the green hut

Sorry Reg mate I'm a bit confused with your description of what was at the back of the terrace. There was a muddy slope behind the terrace behind the roof and going down to pitch level? And the green hut couldnt be seen from the pitch?
Also there was a few houses behind the North Bank on Gillespie Road wasnt there? I'm trying to get a good image of what it was like on the North Bank!

Also, where were the toilets? Were they by the entrances at the bottom of the steps in the corner of the East and West Stands?
And here's Steve Bould....And it's Adams put through by Bould.....WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT?!? That sums it all up, Arsenal the cream of the crop.
StefanSchwarz

Postby Red Snapper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Also, where were the toilets? Were they by the entrances at the bottom of the steps in the corner of the East and West Stands?

There was one half way up the entrance stairs opposite the tube station. It seemed nobody bothered with the porcelain, just let it go once they were inside. Even this was better than Celtic Park where you didn't stand at the front of the terrace unless you were wearing decent wellies!
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Postby G's Gooners » Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am

20 years ago today (2nd May 1992) the old girl witnessed a Wrighty hat-trick in the final game in front of the famous stand.
G's Gooners

Postby Rainham Red » Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

G's Gooners wrote:20 years ago today (2nd May 1992) the old girl witnessed a Wrighty hat-trick in the final game in front of the famous stand.

5-1 final score
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Wed May 02, 2012 11:34 am

G's Gooners wrote:20 years ago today (2nd May 1992) the old girl witnessed a Wrighty hat-trick in the final game in front of the famous stand.

And in doing so, pipped big ears to the Golden Boot. Last game as a terraced stand :(
What did she wear......
She wore,she wore,she wore a yellow ribbon......

Keep St George in my heart keep me English......
FOYS

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby Reg Niseth » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 pm

StefanSchwarz wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:
StefanSchwarz wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:Stood right a the back of the NB from '75 for a couple of years before going on the CE. At the very back was about 10 steps for terracing, then a walkway. In front of that was the plod viewing step so they could look at the middle of the NB.

We used to chuck things at them, fags, peanuts etc. Then they'd steam into us and drag a few away to the Cage where you'd spend the rest of the game. downstairs was the green hut serving warm McKewans, Golden wonder Ready salted and wagon wheels..A few times we'd have a battle with the scum and Mile End Mob under the NB. also at the back were sliding doors so the pitch could get a blow dry. When up against the MEM in '75 it really was men against boys.

In later years they turned that part of terracing into one long refreshment bar.

The sound of DM's running across an empty terrace will stay with me forever.

although I was too young to be there at the time, those that were will say the Fairs Cup 2nd Leg was the best ever atmosphere onn the NB.

What was 'the cage' Reg? And where was downstairs? Behind the North Bank?

The Cage was a high-walled pen where plod used to put you after they'd taken your details. Part of one wall were bars just like prison. Behind the NB was a muddy slope at either end was steps leading down to the green hut

Sorry Reg mate I'm a bit confused with your description of what was at the back of the terrace. There was a muddy slope behind the terrace behind the roof and going down to pitch level? And the green hut couldnt be seen from the pitch?
Also there was a few houses behind the North Bank on Gillespie Road wasnt there? I'm trying to get a good image of what it was like on the North Bank!

The very top of the terrace had sliding doors which opened to help dry the pitch. In front of this was a small terrace of about 10 steps, then a walkway and police observation step. In later years the whole length of this terrace under the roof became an enclosed refreshment/toilet block further reducing the capacity. At either side of the roof were steps leading up/down to the turnstile at street level. The green hut was behind the roofed terrace and was not visible from the pitch.

Behind the NB wer esome houses and industrial units. One of these units (a printers) was originally a laundry, hence the first name for the that end being The Laundry End. There are some youtube clips/photos before the roog went on and you can clearly see the steam rising from the back of the terrace. It was also the home of the Clock before it was moved to the South Terrace. There is a great pic of a packed terrace with the clock, but many have confused this with the clockend . . . it is in fact the NB.

The toilets were at the bottom of the terrace but there was one half way up the steps from the Gillespie Road turnstile.
LOYALTY TO CLUB, ALWAYS. LOYALTY TO THOSE THAT RUN IT, WHEN THEY DESERVE IT.
Reg Niseth

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby olgit » Tue May 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Red Snapper wrote:
Schizoid Mark wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:....and your wise men don't know how it feels
to be thick
as a brick.

Are you a big Jethro Tull fan then Red? Realised it was from 'Thick as A Brick' (great album!) but any reference to the Gunners in that?

Just from that time (early 70's), saw them live a couple of times. Played the album recently and it just clicked. No Gunners reference, just life really!

Ian Anderson used to live next door to my local pub when I lived in Buckinghamshire. I met him a few times. He's quite posh. His wife was one of the dancers in Pan's People. Yummy.

Jethro Tull used the local football club's function room for rehearsals (Beacon's Bottom FC. What a name!) So I watched them playing for free. :D
olgit

THE OLD NORTH BANK

Postby islandboy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 am

The 1950's!!! The good old days, I was working at the age of 15 at Simpsons in Piccadilly and every saturday that the gunners were at home we finished work at 1pm and went straight into the Three Crowns Pub for an hour before travelling on the tube to Arsenal and getting in the North End queue and paying a bob to get in (my wages in those days were £1-7-6d) and I lived in Romford, our group were always on the step at the lefthand side of the goal and I can remember little Jo Haverty running down right wing, Tommy Docherty, John Radford, Don Roper and many more that I have forgotten.

If anybody attempted to stand on our wall it did'nt take us long to remove them and we never got put in the cage as we were to clever for that, all the mates I had then have all disappeared from the face of the earth we did'nt have segregation in those days but we had a very good time.

THOSE REALLY WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS. :oldgit:
Dodgyrog is my name and Islandboy is where my location is.
islandboy

PreviousNext

Return to The Olden Days.....