The Best line-up of 11 players to have played for Wenger

Discuss all things Arsenal

The Best line-up of 11 players to have played for Wenger

Postby Thynker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm

A BBC poll aimed to select Wenger's best 11

I have mine below.
Interestingly not one player from the last 8 or so years makes the team. Nostalgia or true reflection of the quality we get these days?

Seaman

Lauren Adams Campbell Cole

Vieira Petit

Ljungberg Bergkamp Pires

Henry
Last edited by Thynker on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Wenger's best XI

Postby Tenbob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 am

Thynker wrote:A BBC poll aimed to select Wenger's best 11

I have mine below.
Interestingly not one player from the last 8 or so years makes the team. Nostalgia or true reflection of the quality we get these days?

Seaman

Vieira Petit

Ljungberg Bergkamp Pires

Henry

Agree with that line up,did toy with the idea of Overmars for Ljungberg but would upset the balance.
Just about agreed with Lauren as was one of Wengers master moves making him a right back.
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Wenger's best XI

Postby louder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am

Tenbob wrote:
Thynker wrote:A BBC poll aimed to select Wenger's best 11

I have mine below.

Seaman

Vieira Petit

Ljungberg Bergkamp Pires

Henry

Agree with that line up,did toy with the idea of Overmars for Ljungberg but would upset the balance.
Just about agreed with Lauren as was one of Wengers master moves making him a right back.

It's interesting that only two of GG's players are in there. A lot of people accuse Wenger of piggy backing off of the famous back five. I've never thought this to be the case.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Wenger's best XI

Postby Rainham Red » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am

I would have Dixon Bould Adams Winterburn as my back four as although individually they were not as talented as players such as Campbell and Cole but as a unit they were unsurpassed. I would also replace Ljungberg with Overmars (Pires could play wide right)
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Re: Wenger's best XI

Postby FOYS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

Mine is based solely based on Wenger signings.

Lehmann

Lauren Campbell Toure Sylvinho

Ljungberg Vieira Petit Pires
Bergkamp

Henry
What did she wear......
She wore,she wore,she wore a yellow ribbon......

Keep St George in my heart keep me English......
FOYS

Postby louder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:27 pm

FOYS wrote:Mine is based solely based on Wenger signings.

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

I've heard you say in the past how Bergkamp wasn't signed by Wenger, so you've made a minor mistake. Who would you have in his place ? Anelka?
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

I'd have to go with....

.................................Seaman

.................Keown......Adams......Campbell

..........................Vierra......Ramsay

Pires...........................................................Cole

...................................DB10

..................Wright........................Henry

VOILA !!!
louder
Forum Supporter

Wenger's best XI

Postby Thynker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Rainham Red wrote:I would have Dixon Bould Adams Winterburn as my back four as although individually they were not as talented as players such as Campbell and Cole but as a unit they were unsurpassed. I would also replace Ljungberg with Overmars (Pires could play wide right)

I think that's a fair point on the back 4 though Id possibly have Keown for Bould.

Watching the Sky sports news coverage they showed the infamous van Nistelrooy game. Forgot how big our team used to be... Keown, Gilberto, Edu... all big men. Load of munchkins in the side now
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Wenger's best XI

Postby Rainham Red » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Thynker wrote:
Rainham Red wrote:I would have Dixon Bould Adams Winterburn as my back four as although individually they were not as talented as players such as Campbell and Cole but as a unit they were unsurpassed. I would also replace Ljungberg with Overmars (Pires could play wide right)

I think that's a fair point on the back 4 though [color=#FF0000]Id possibly have Keown for Bould.
[/color]
Watching the Sky sports news coverage they showed the infamous van Nistelrooy game. Forgot how big our team used to be... Keown, Gilberto, Edu... all big men. Load of munchkins in the side now

I was torn between the two of them
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:50 pm

louder wrote:

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

I've heard you say in the past how Bergkamp wasn't signed by Wenger, so you've made a minor mistake. Who would you have in his place ? Anelka?

No you haven't. I've always said he was a Wenger signing, as was David Platt.
What did she wear......

FOYS

Postby louder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:32 pm

FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

Oh. My mistake then. I think most people see Dennis as pre-Wenger though. Not laying traps are we ;) :D
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm

louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

Oh. My mistake then. I think most people see Dennis as pre-Wenger though. Not laying traps are we ;) :D

Not laying any traps. As I posted, it is based on Wenger signings, that's why I never picked Cole.
What did she wear......

FOYS

Postby louder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

Not laying any traps. As I posted, it is based on Wenger signings, that's why I never picked Cole.

You consider Bergkamp to be a Wenger signing but Cole, promoted from the Academy under Wenger, not to be ? It's never straight forward when you're involved, F.
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 pm

louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:

Lehmann

Bergkamp

Henry

You consider Bergkamp to be a Wenger signing but Cole, promoted from the Academy under Wenger, not to be ? It's never straight forward when you're involved, F.

Could have sworn Cole signed his first contract under Rioch. My mistake if he didn't.
What did she wear......

FOYS

Postby louder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm

FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:
FOYS wrote:
louder wrote:I've heard you say in the past how Bergkamp wasn't signed by Wenger, so you've made a minor mistake. Who would you have in his place ? Anelka?

Could have sworn Cole signed his first contract under Rioch. My mistake if he didn't.

So you're now the only person on the planet crediting Rioch for Ashley Cole :P (Unless anyone else out there agrees ???.....) But you say Bergkamp IS a Wenger signing ! :?

How about you stop being so daft and stick to the thread title with a little light-heartedness. That, Or you could start a thread titled 'Best eleven players to have signed a contract under Wenger'. To make it extra fun you could specify whether you'd like contributions to only cover initial contracts or whether contract renewals are welcome.

And people wonder why this forum died :|
louder
Forum Supporter

Re: The Best line-up of 11 players to have played for Wenger

Postby Schizoid Mark » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am

Dennis Bergkamp was Rioch's first signing for Arsenal June 1995. 15 months before Wenger took over. Many of course would actually consider him a Dein signing, either way Wenger had 'nowt to do with it!
Sammy Nelson's Bottom
Schizoid Mark

Postby louder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Schizoid Mark wrote:Dennis Bergkamp was Rioch's first signing for Arsenal June 1995. 15 months before Wenger took over. Many of course would actually consider him a Dein signing, either way Wenger had 'nowt to do with it!

Try telling FOYS that !

Nice thread title change. Although, how can that be the title but some choose to leave IW8 out of their line-up ? Madness !!!
louder
Forum Supporter

Postby FOYS » Mon May 14, 2018 10:42 am

Schizoid Mark wrote:Dennis Bergkamp was Rioch's first signing for Arsenal June 1995. 15 months before Wenger took over. Many of course would actually consider him a Dein signing, either way Wenger had 'nowt to do with it!

Yes Rioch was manager at the time, but he wanted Shearer or the Brazilian Ronaldo. He was given Bergkamp by Dein, Wengers pal. The same Wenger that Dein wanted to take charge in 1995.
What did she wear......

FOYS

Postby Hobart » Wed May 16, 2018 8:19 am

FOYS wrote:

Yes Rioch was manager at the time, but he wanted Shearer or the Brazilian Ronaldo. He was given Bergkamp by Dein, Wengers pal. The same Wenger that Dein wanted to take charge in 1995.

Thought this was common knowledge. Dein had met Wenger several years before he joined Arsenal and they had struck up a strong friendship. Dein tried to get Wenger to take over instead of Rioch but Wenger wouldnt break his contract. However they did have a discussion about who Wenger rated throughout European football that might be available to sign. Bergkamp was one of the names Dein and Wenger discussed.

Dein went on to sign him and Platt independant to Riochs arrival at the club.

For what its worth I have heard that Rioch was very anti foreign player and turned down several big names that were offered to him.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby louder » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

There's 'common knowledge' and 'common gossip'.

I think we can all agree that Dennis Bergkamp was not signed by Wenger and move on with the thread.
louder
Forum Supporter

Next

Return to Arsenal Chat