Honeymoon period?

Discuss all things Arsenal

Honeymoon period?

Postby Hobart » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:12 pm

A thought crossed my mind today as the transfer window slammed shut.

Bear with me.....

Imagine for one minute that Wenger was still sitting in the Managers office, with his slippers on working out how to take the handbrake off the team and improve its mental strength for the season.

We’ve just finished the window buying a decent looking midfielder, a decent goalie (albeit on the fringes of the German squad), and a veteran centreback and veteran rightback.

Selling Perez for a £10m loss and looks like selling Ospina as well.

At the same time we failed to get Wilshere to sign up, Ramsey our prospective captain is wandering into the season looking towards a free transfer as is Welbeck.

I can’t help but think that we’d be giving Wenger hell at the moment.
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Re: Honeymoon period?

Postby Red Snapper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Why does the transfer window always "slam shut"? Doesn't that risk breaking the glass? Anyway, given that he has addressed the most urgent failings with the squad and that was more important than moving on excess baggage, he can be allowed a period of grace. The rest of it can be sorted when the window explodes open in January. And yes, Le Boss would be receiving pelters by now, even if just from habit!
AFCINMYDNA

"Tottenham fans are idiots"---Roy Keane 4th January 2014
Red Snapper
Forum Supporter

Honeymoon period?

Postby Thynker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 pm

I for one am not happy with the defensive signings.
I don't think the keeper or Sokratis are great at all.
Time will tell
Wenger out!!
Thynker
Forum Supporter

Honeymoon period?

Postby Rainham Red » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 am

We have bought from the Co-Op rather than Waitrose but at least give them a chance. Remember our revered back four Dixon-Bould-Adams-Winterburn individually not top, top class but as a unit unbeatable.
Rainham Red
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Funny , I said that this morning. We have what we have and now it's down to Emery to get the best out of them . He is said to be more tactically aware than Wenger , so lets sit back and see.
The starting side against Guardiola will be his best team to negate their style of hard press, quick passing, and fast wide players . Then we will see if It changes for the Chavs with their more methodical style.
he has his squad , lets see how he uses it.
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

Postby Tenbob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Is over :D
“ Arsenal come streaming forward now in surely what will be their last attack. A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith, for Thomas, charging through the midfield. Thomas, it's up for grabs now! Thomas! ”
Tenbob
Forum Supporter

Postby Hobart » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Heard he met with the board and has already had a vote of confidence!
There's none so blind as those who will not see.

Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Hobart
Forum Supporter

Postby potter » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 am

That's ominous . This is at least a two/three transfer window experiment , it will take time but we need to know what is the club's final aim . Is it just top 4 or to win ? personally I would think it's the former.
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth."

It would be foolish to think otherwise
potter
Forum Supporter

Honeymoon period?

Postby louder » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:50 am

The first thing I'd want after replacing a Manager of Wenger's stature is avoiding getting worse. Some would say you have to get worse in order to get better sometimes, but ideally a new manager would keep the ship steady. No easy achievement. Dick's done this and more. We're getting results away from home and the new signings are doing well. Given that it's so soon in his tenure, it's surely fair to say he looks like a good choice.
"Arsene is a perfect fit for Arsenal. This is the classiest club out there" - Graeme Souness.
louder
Forum Supporter

Honeymoon period?

Postby 595 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:00 am

I reckon it will take him 3 seasons to get to where he wants us , the state Wenger left our squad in I’m happy to give Unai that time , Loki at the change in Iwobi to see the impact he’s had on some of the players.

Return to Arsenal Chat